I like to make my own bread when I invite friends over for dinner. It makes a good impression and.. Ok ok to be honest we haven’t been able to host that many dinner parties lately but we do run out of bread every now and then (ok, quite often) and then I have to make my own. It’s very easy though. And the kid and the husband like it. Here’s how I do it.
7 dl wheat flour
1 dl rye flour
1 1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp yeast
4 dl warm water
In the evening…
- Mix the flour, salt and yeast together in a big bowl.
- Add the water and mix the ingredients together but don’t stir too much!
- Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and leave the dough for 8-24 hours. You can leave it on the table.
In the morning…
- Warm up the oven to 225 c.
- Preheat the cast iron pot or other ovenproof dish with cover for half an hour.
- Meanwhile put your dough on a table that has flour on it and shape a ball from it.
- Cover that ball with plastic wrap.
- When the pot is preheated take it (carefully!) out of the oven. Cover the bottom of your pot with baking paper if necessary.
- Put the dough in the pot (without the plastic wrap), put the cover on and bake it in the oven for 30 minutes.
- Then remove the cover and bake it some 10 to 15 minutes more.