Being ill was not only bad! I had an idea while resting! I’ve told you I’d like to be vegetarian but I’ve had all these excuses: I don’t know how to prepare enough vegetarian meals, I’ve been tired with the twins and haven’t had the strength to look for new recipes and everyday meals.
I’ve been a master in inventing new excuses.
A week ago I watched the documentary ‘What the Health’. I’d watched Cowspiracy earlier. They are not entirely applicable to an EU country and they are not the only reason why I’d like to be vegetarian. But that documentary reminded me of this dream or goal of becoming vegetarian I’ve had for a long time. My family hasn’t eaten lots of meat but I’d like to leave it all.
So I decided. Enough with excuses. Now is as good time as any to try this out!
Since October is ‘meat free month’ I decided to take part and started this challenge already a week ago. I’ll try to be vegetarian until the end of October and then see how it went and how I want to continue.
Rules that I’ve set for myself:
- Buy and prepare only vegetarian food at home. At this point eggs and dairy are ok. I’ll try leaving them later.
- Vegetarian food only at home. My son and husband can eat whatever they want at daycare and work but I will only eat vegetarian dishes and prepare them at home. They won’t eat meat at home either.
- Seafood is ok occasionally. Just make sure that it’s msc certified.
- I’ll continue until the end of October and then see how it went, and decide whether I want to continue.
What I have prepared during this first week:
- Lentil soup
- Tomato pasta with pulled oats
- Vegetarian hamburgers
- Spinach and feta cheese pie
- Tomato and chevre pie
- Pesto pasta
In a restaurant I’ve had
- Pan-fried noodles with tofu (this one was the only hard one! I almost chose beef and broke my challenge already but luckily went with tofu after all.)
- Smoothie (a big, lunchy one)
My son hasn’t noticed anything different in my cooking and that’s also my goal. That the meals are so tasty he wouldn’t notice anything. This first week has been surprisingly easy. Now I’m trying to invent new ideas for the next week.
Please share your favorite vegetarian recipes! I really need all tips I can get.
And join me to this challenge if you want!